Pages

Friday, May 14, 2010

The Finish Line

Hello, my name is Amber

and I'm a pansy.

It's the day before graduation, and while it's been incredibly hot all week, it decides to rain today. I love stormy weather (except when the stormy indicates a tornado- that shit is scary). I left work early because I felt a cold coming on, maybe it's allergies I don't know. But as soon as I said "I finished my project, can I go home", it starts to rain. Luckily my co-worker gave me a ride home. I turned on my heater, changed into some sweatpants and checked my email (compulsive habit). I'm by myself (roommate had a final) and the storm starts picking up. Soon the thunder is getting so loud I can feel it reverberating on the ground.

Then the sky cracked open with barrels of thunder that shook the walls. This is where I become a pansy. While I don't mind storms, I do mind the sound of crackling thunder and lightning. It sounds like wood splitting- a sound I am both fond of and a little creeped out by. I don't know where I made the comparison, but I've always imagined the sound of the end of the world sounding like splitting wood.

When I was little, I was very much afraid of thunder. I remember back in Farmington when it would storm, the Glasgow clan of six would turn off the TV, the lights, radio- everything- and we would sit in the living room with the curtains drawn and watch the storm. We had a huge window in the living room (It was practically a wall on its own). And, as the baby of the family, I'd be sitting near my mother with Dolly (the blanket to my Linus), clutching her pillowy cotton stuffed doll body. I wasn't the only kid afraid of the thunder, but I was the one most vocal about it, haha. To make me feel better, my parents told me that the thunder meant the angels were bowling in heaven and the really loud thunder meant they got a strike. Kids will believe anything ;)

So despite the on-again off-again crazy weather and the fact that I might have a cold, today has been great. Mostly because I'm in comfy clothes, had a bowl of baked potato soup (one of my favies) and watched an episode of Modern Family. My finals are done, I found a great radio station that plays my favorite Gen X music (I'm too young to be considered a Gen X-er, but my oldest sister is and I grew up listening to the music. I mean come on, when my friends were listening to Disney sing-a-longs I was listening to Melissa's Nirvana Unplugged, Smashing Pumpkins, Presidents of the United States and Blind Melon cds).

Well, tomorrow is graduation. And then it's three weeks- THREE WEEKS- until Steph and I go out to San Francisco

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sll3eTxsRpw

Peace and Love

1 comment: