Pages

Monday, May 17, 2010

indulgence of the third kind

Hello, my name is Amber.

And instead of cleaning, I'm distracting myself with my blog and Stephen Hawking.

There's this show on the Discovery Channel called Into the Universe with Stephen Hawking- so cool. If there's one thing you didn't know about me, it's that I love science. It isn't something I'm necessarily obsessed with, but when I see something on the internet or tv, I'm reminded how much I like it and I wonder why I didn't study something in the science field instead of theatre. If I were to be some sort of scientist, I would be a volcanologist.

"A volcanologist is a person who studies the formation of volcanoes, and their current and historic eruptions. Volcanologists frequently visit volcanoes, especially active ones, to observe volcanic eruptions, collect eruptive products including tephra (such as ash or pumice), rock and lava samples."

How cool would that job be?!

So the Hawking show has ended and now a show about supernovas is on. At first it freaked me out because they were talking about what would happen if a supernova happened near Earth- in short, we would all be fucked. But THEN, as I'm puttering about my living room picking things up, they talk about our universe. They said everything in the universe was the cause of a supernova- the planets, Earth and everything on it, humans. One guy put it in a really neat way. He said, "The atoms in your left hand are from one star while the atoms is your right hand could be from another. You are made of star dust".

Star dust! I got so excited at the thought of being made up of star dust that I called Steph and practically squealed about the new revelation. Well slap my ass and call me Ziggy- I thought it was the coolest thing. With regular programs like Myth Busters and Weird or What and specials about time travel, supernovas and black holes, I think I know exactly how I'll be spending my post-graduate/pre-moving days: feeding my inner nerd with physics theories.

I oughtta get back to cleaning/ learning how the universe works ;)

Peace and Love

No comments:

Post a Comment